We have always been quite keen about sports like soccer, basketball, lawn tennis and of course, cricket. Who does not like cricket? We all do and we follow it religiously whether it is 20-20 or world cup! I am sure we all are aware of the fact that baseball is our national game but our duty does not end there. There are still a great deal of people specially the new generation who is clueless about this game and how it’s in fact played. It is high time we begin exploring this game after all it is our national game and we should not ignore it.
In this game, two teams have been divided which plays against every other. Each team must carefully move the ball to the opponent’s goal with the help of a hockey stick.
• Keep yourself ready with hockey equipment. Purchase a beginner stick which comes up to your waist so that you can learn and perform comfortably.
• You will need to keep in mind that while playing hockey, your left hand will give the principal guidance to the stick and your right hand will be the main support to the rod.
• Your left foot should be pointing at the front while the remainder foot should be put back for support. You’ll have to bend your knees in order to aim for the ball.
• Now all you will need to do is,’trap the ball’. Here, try to prevent or slow down the speed of the ball that’s coming towards you.
• it’s time to hit the ball and for that you’ll have to make sure that your right hand is very close to your left hand so that the ball is in direct contact with your forward foot.
• Try and dip the ball across the length of the stick. Attempt to work on the turns and pulls with the help of some of your team member.
In the long run, the more you will practice it, the perfect you’ll end up in this game. Once you may learn it, you will not look ahead to any other game. All sports are interesting and fun with no doubt but as an Indian we shouldn’t ignore our national sport and must be equally excited and keen in learning and practicing it. It is one of the important things to remember.